HISTORY OF CRAB ORCHARD GOLF CLUB
In 1956, Roy Glenn, 12 years a touring professional, came to Carterville with the idea of establishing a golf course. The 240 acre Ferrell Farm was purchased and construction of the course began in 1957.
In 1959, after two years of construction, the course was completed and opened for play. The remaining acreage was developed into the Greenbriar Subdivision. The original owners, Roy Glenn, Dr. Dale Caveness of Eldorado, and Gene Timmons of Evansville were responsible for the inception of the golf club. Since that time, Don Johnson of McLeansboro, Dwight Witherspoon, and Phil Heckel of Carterville were active in ownership of COGC. In 1972, Phil and son, Steve, became sole owners of Crab Orchard Golf Club.
In the fall of 2020, upon Steve Heckel’s retirement, Drs. Russell and Janice Brown along with their son and daughter-in-law, Russ and Leah, purchased the golf course. Russ and Leah operate the daily management of the course and they look forward to connecting with friends, new and old, to make lasting memories on the links.
The course has undergone many changes through the years and is one of the finest courses in Southern Illinois. COGC consistently turns out many of the best young players in this area. We are sure you will enjoy the course and hospitality provided.
|Russ and Leah Brown||Owners/Operators|
|Andy Church||Lead PGA Professional|